Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) is the term used to describe disorders of the peripheral nerves.
- 10 to 20 million people in the US suffer with PN
- Approximately 50% of diabetics will develop the condition
- Many people using statin pills: ‘cholesterol drugs’ will be affected PN
The peripheral nervous system is made up of the nerves that branch out of the spinal cord to all parts of the body.
Peripheral nerve cells have three main parts:
Cell body, axons, and dendrites.
Any part of the nerve can be affected, but damage
to axons is themost common. The axon transmits
signals between nerve cells or nerve cell to muscle.
Most axons are surrounded by a substance called
myelin, which facilitates signal transmission.
There are two types of symptoms with PN
negative and positive
Negative signs appear first when occur when damage to the nervous system brings about a LOSS of a particular function.
For example; loss of reflexes, loss of strength, loss of sensation like numbness. These are rarely detectable to the patient, because the brain makes up the difference in the losses.
Only after some time do the sick and damaged nerves develop the positive signs of neuropathy; tingling, burning, biting, stabbing, shooting pains.
Each patient will describe their pain in their own individual language of ‘pain’. This can easily confuse a doctor not trained in the recognition and treatment of these patients. So the patient usually continues to suffer, going from doctor to doctor, to stronger and stronger doses of pills.
Currently, ordinary medicine has no cure for PN
The extremely powerful drugs dispensed to patients do not help heal the damaged nerves. This medication can only mask the symptoms of PN.
Every patient seen at our office receives a customized treatment plan.
We treat the dysfunctions found when we examine you neurologically and through metabolic lab tests. Beyond treating you with traditional chiropractic care, treatment options include:
- PN Rehabilitation Therapy at 7.83 Hz which restores feeling and "wakes up" the nerve, helps your sleep at night, relieves pain and numbness, and helps to restore balance and mobility
- Laser Therapy, a painless and safe treatment that reduces inflammation and improves micocirculation
- Brain Based Therapy which is an amazingly powerful and all natural healing technique used to restore optimum health based on neurological findings
- Metabolic Testing/Therapy which helps to identify metabolic problems that are damaging the nerves.
These are just a few of the ways we can help you.
If you would like to have more information or to set up a consultation, call 813-253-2333.
Dr. Lanzisera, D.C